Monday, May 22, 2006

Album Review: Rebel Meets Rebel - Rebel Meets Rebel (2006) B+


Sounds Like: Pantera with a county singer

I admit I was skeptical when I first heard about this project. Basically, Rebel Meets Rebel is Vinnie Paul and the late Dimebag Darrell (both formerly of Pantera and Damageplan) jamming with infamous X-rated country singer-songwriter David Allan Coe. The album was recorded here and there over the span of four years leading up to Dime's death in 2004.

But like I said, I had reservations. I mean, was it to be a country album? Was Coe singing metal-style? My limited metal brain had trouble fathoming.

But I'm pleasantly suprised to say Rebel Meets Rebel is a highly entertainly metal (yes, metal) album, one that really sounds like the fellas had a blast making. The songs pound along at an uptempo pace, and Dimebag's riffing hasn't sounded this good since Pantera (more on this later). This is just a fun record, 'nuff said. Some might have a problem with Coe's monotonish country twang, you'll either dig it or not, but I liked it, and honestly think it fits the 'don't give a fuck' vibe of the songs.

As I said earlier, Dime's guitar sound here is amazing. Exactly what it should be and how I'll always remember it. Which got me thinking, what the hell happened with Damageplan?! I thought the guitars (and the production as a whole) sounded like dog crap on that record (New Found Power). Now how can VP and the gang crank out a better guitar sound for a indie label side project (recorded in bits and pieces over four years, mind you) than for a major release which was on Elektra friggin records?

Sorry, just felt I had to express that bit of indignation...

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Right on Jefelee,

I agree 100%. Rebel Meets Rebels is a great album. I don't care for country much, I didn't know who D.A.C. was till this album. I saw the vid on MTV and had to have it. Anyone who likes Pantera (especially for the music) should check it out. I appreciated P.A. for his attitude and writing from the heart, but didn't always love his sound. The album lets Dimebag fans hear him in a different way that is very cool, and very metal.
Damageplan never seemed to gel, the guitar sound is harsh and muddy.

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter