Friday, June 16, 2006

Concert Review: Static-X (Key Club) B


Date of show: 6/15/06
Venue: Key Club (Hollywood)

I'll admit I wasn't too terribly excited to see Static-X. I had bought a ticket to this show when Silent Civilian were scheduled to open, but with Silent Civilian now on tour with Drowning Pool, I was left with just good ole Wayne Static & friends to entertain me.

Openers were Godhead and Twist The Screw (or was it Turn The Nut? Hammer The Nail? I forget), both of whom I deliberately missed.

Static-X eventually came on, sounded great, and really rocked the place. The last time I saw them was a few years ago supporting 2001's Machine album, and I was honestly pretty bored at that show. But this time I came away very impressed, although they're only band I have ever seen open with a drum solo, a short drum solo, but yes, a drum solo. Weird.

The set was a good mix of new and old, favoring newer material from Start A War and stuff off their first (and easily best) record, Wisconsin Death Trip. It should be noted that there wasn't much off of 2003's Shadow Zone album, the least Static-Xish record they've put out. Really my only knock on the setlist was the inclusion of some interlude-like filler tracks, like "Stem," but the crowd seemed to eat it up during their hourlong set.

Speaking of the crowd, again I felt like the old man of the sea, the ancient mariner. Most of the crowd was under 21, and when M and I talked to some kids about how we had seen Static-X way back in 1998, they looked at us like we had just told them our names were on the Declaration of Independence.

Despite 10+ years going to see bands on the Sunset strip...I had never actually been inside the Key Club. It's got great sound and an impressive light and video setup. Far cooler than any other club in LA. Although I'd advise against excessive drinking, there's way too many darkened staircases to go tumbling down (okay, Dad).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter